Wilson Combat has been in the custom 1911 game since the 1970’s, so it is no surprise that they would take that expertise and integrate it into their own AR platform. For years now Bill and Co. have been producing AR-15 rifles made in-house at their facilities in Berryville, Arkansas. Late last year, Wilson released its own stripped billet upper and lower receiver as an option for customers who want to upgrade to a matched billet set.
What a lot of people don’t realize is that Wilson Combat makes these, among many of their parts 100% in-house, rather than farm them out. I see this as a huge advantage when it comes to overseeing quality control.
The BILLet-AR was developed by Bill Wilson and the Wilson Combat design team to address structural design weaknesses they saw in standard USGI receivers. The receiver walls are more rigid to reduce firing flex. While the upper receiver bolt raceway is designed for smoother chambering, and the lower receiver magazine well is over-sized to help reduce reload times.
- CNC machined from 7075-T6 aerospace aluminum billet stock
- Picatinny top rail
- Shell deflector
- M4-style extended feedramps for excellent reliability with a wide variety of calibers
- Undersize bolt raceway for smoother chambering, improved feeding and enhanced recoil dynamics
- Smooth side profile without forward assist for maximum accuracy potential
- Oversize, EDM-cut magazine well
- Precision threaded receiver and reamed pin holes
- Hex Screw Bolt Catch retention
- Hand prepped for a flawless surface finish
- Mil-Spec hard anodized prior to final finishing
The design is very clean, yet functional where it needs to be. The flared magwell is well integrated into the design and just the right size for those quick reloads without being to bulky. One of my favorite features is rubber insert set deep into the lower receiver that allows for a snug upper-to-lower fit without having to mash it together when pressing the rear pin. It is a well-designed set that belongs in any AR aficionado’s
Later this quarter, we will build out the set Wilson sent us for testing and get some video of it running.
- Billet Lower Receiver – $339.95
- Billet Upper Receiver Upgrade, Complete Upper – $289.95
- As a set for $599.95
To find out more anout the Wilson Combat BILLet Matched Upper and Lower Receiver, visit Wilson Combat.